Giving To The Garfield Gators

Students From Dunlap High School are shown loading donated supplies into a trailer to transport to Garfield.

Victorine Lewin and Sydney Sutter

On Sept. 6, a band trailer full of supplies and more than $17,000 in donations was sent to Texas to assist a school affected by Hurricane Harvey.

The school is Garfield Elementary in Houston. When the people saw the trailer pull up, they started crying because they were so thankful and so excited to be getting aid and supplies.

This effort was a result of an idea sparked by Student Council president Franny Verville, after seeing what has happened to the homes in Texas and how it affected so many people.

She went to Mr. Adreon and shared her ideas.

A DHS alumna, Allyson Kemmann teaches at Garfield Elementary School, so it was a simple decision on who to help.

“We wanted to get them aid as quickly as possible,” said Mr. Adreon.

The devastation of the hurricane really touched the students and staff of Dunlap High School. Immediately, Dunlap received plenty of donations. Not only did students and faculty donate, but the Dunlap community and others all over the Peoria area did too.

“I was surprised to see how it snowballed into a big effort,” said Mr. Adreon.

Dunlap received a lot of toilet paper, paper towels, mattresses, water and the most donated item was 3,000 toothbrushes. Over $17,000 in donations was raised and more is coming in. This Saturday, a pancake breakfast was held to raise more money for the effort.