Eagles Soar to a Mid-Illini Conference Championship

The football team posing for a celebratory picture after conference championship win against Canton!

Kirsten Wysocki and Mattie Maupin

It was a championship 25 years in the making. The Dunlap Eagles football team finished off their regular season with a first ever Mid-Illini Conference Championship win.

“As a coach you just want your team to the best it can be,” says Eagles’ coach Brett Cazalet.

The Eagles proved they were the best in the Mid-Illini when they ended their season undefeated, 9-0. That was in stark contrast to last year’s season when the Eagles only brought home five wins and lost in the first round of the playoffs against Peoria High.

During the season, senior and team captain Luke Bennyhoff believed that their biggest competition was Washington High School. “They run the same style of offense and defense, so it really was just us playing against ourselves,” says Bennyhoff.

To add to their success, the Eagles had many returning key players and sophomores who stepped up this year.

According to Bennyhoff, Myles Burke was one of those standout sophomores. “Coming straight up to varsity is very different than sophomore year. He has really improved himself and shown that he should be starting.”

Cazalet also adds, “Our offensive line has majorly improved since last year. They are better able to run the ball and it has helped us greatly this season.”