Hard Work and Determination Pays Off for Freshman Taylor Disharoon

Freshman Taylor Disharoon playing tennis

Melanie Henley and Tanner Johnson

Freshman Taylor Disharoon helped lead the girls varsity tennis team to conference championship and state qualification this season. She got there by having a drive to overtake her competitors.

Disharoon played singles and won two and lost two matches at the state competition. Disharoon was the only freshman in the top six, along with one sophomore, and four seniors. She said her older teammates were very welcoming and helped her really understand the “team” aspect of tennis.

For being only a freshman, girls tennis coach Pat Gornik said Disharoon “By far exceeded what I was expecting.”

Disharoon, however, doesn’t like to focus on her age or the age of her competitors. “We all have the same opportunities and the only possible advantage is the work we put in,” she said.

Tennis has and always will be an important part of Disharoon’s life. She has been playing tennis for 10 years, and got her competitiveness from playing with her mom and brother.

Her determination is what sets her apart from her competitors. Coach Gornik said, “She fights till the end of the match, never loses confidence, and can adjust to the game well.”

Even though Disharoon’s talents exceed beyond most players her age, there is always room for improvement. She plans on working on her placement, pace, consistency, and setting goals in the offseason.

Having a great first season of her high school career makes a lot of pressure for next season. She said her attitude for next season is to “Try my best, work my hardest, and leave it all on the court.”

Disharoon said she wouldn’t change anything about this season if she could. She felt that she learned a lot and grew as a player overall.