Senior Phil Unes Receives Wendy’s Heisman Award

Sydney Bertschy and Melanie Henley

Senior Phil Unes received the Wendy’s Heisman Award for his outstanding accomplishments in the school community.

Unes was given this award for excelling in athletics, academics, and community service. Unes has earned a 3.92 GPA, excelled in football and track, and has many hours of community service recorded.

Unes applied for this award and was chosen out of many outstanding students. He is surprised to have received this award because of the competition among the award.

“I am proud of myself and honored to win this award because of my accomplishments,” Unes said.

Unes says the best aspect about receiving this award is the honor of getting to represent the school. “Since we have such a large student body, it is really cool that I can represent them,” he said.

According to the Wendy’s High School Heisman website, applicants must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher, be proven leaders within their school and community, and perform in at least one school sport in order to be eligible for the award.

Unes was chosen as a school winner which means he was chosen from the applicants from just Dunlap High School and had the opportunity to be chosen as a state winner to win a scholarship, but he did not.

Although he did not win the scholarship award, Unes won a certificate and badge, and he will be able to write this accomplishment on his future resumes and college applications.