Dunlap Dominates Fall Sports

Dunlap High School athletic teams are thriving this fall, making the school the leader of the Mid-Illini conference.

Dunlap sports teams are excelling this season. Every sport finished in at least the top four positions in the conference.

Not only was there major success in the conference with there being four Mid-Illini champions, but many teams also continue to succeed during their postseasons.

Girls Cross Country

Girls Cross Country were Mid-Illini champions and also won the State Cross Country meet for the first time since 1996.

Four of the runners earned the title of all-staters, meaning they finished in the top 25: freshman Campbell Peterson-2, junior Abby Johnson-25, and seniors Franny Verville-22 and Ayah Aldadah-18.

Mrs. Young, one of the girls cross country coaches, says that she was expecting this much success all year since they were ranked first in the conference throughout the entire season.

“It takes a season of long hard work to actually make it happen,” says Young.

The Girls Cross Country team.

Girls Swimming

Girls swimming is undefeated this season, making them conference champions. Many swimmers qualified to advance to the State meet.

They ended the season ninth in the state. Senior Emma Theobald ended her high school career with the title of No. 1 in the state for the 100-butterfly among the many records she broke this season.

Football

The football team finished their season with an overall record of 13-1, after finishing second in the state for class 5A. They were Mid-Illini conference champions and undefeated in the regular season. It was the first time in school history the Dunlap football team won the Mid-Illini conference. It is also the best record Dunlap has ever had!

Girl’s Varsity Tennis

This year was the first year that varsity girls tennis earned the title Mid-Illini conference champions.

Girls tennis finished as Mid-Illini champs and placed second in their sectional match. Singles State qualifier Taylor Disharoon ended 2-2. Both doubles teams, Katie San Jose and Livy Sutton lost both matches, and ended 0-2.

Disharoon was named the Peoria Journal Star Player of the Year.

When asked about his first outlook on the tennis season, coach Patrick Gornik stated, “I knew we would have some success but I also knew that some of the other competing schools were returning their starters.”

Golf

Girls and boys golf finished third in the Mid-Illini conference, both third place. Matt Leist, junior, competed at state.

Other Distinctions

Both boys cross country and volleyball finished fourth in the conference.

Boys soccer tied for third in the Mid-Illini and finished as regional champs.

Athletic director Mrs. Cazalet says, “It is really exciting to see all the student-athletes and coaches have success.”

Dunlap”s athletic domination put the high school on the “map”.

Congratulations to all the fall sports teams, Roll Eags!

Dunlap Dominates Fall Sports