Dunlap Packs the Place for a Good Cause

Cheryl Bluth (Back line, fourth from the left) and other Parents Club members in a team picture after the Pack the Place meeting.

Kaylee Walper

Along with great food, an exciting performance by the cheerleaders, and a spectacular game of basketball, the annual Pack the Place fundraiser raked in about $9,700 on Friday, Jan. 26 by fans sporting rock and roll themed T-shirts that helped sponsor the event.

The annual fundraiser hosted by the Dunlap High School Parent’s Club aims to ‘pack the place’ full of spectators at one of the boys home basketball games. To entice bigger crowds to the game, the event features food vendors, live music, gift card raffles, and silent auction baskets. One lucky fan took home half the proceeds from the 50/50 ticket raffle, receiving $510..

Each year a theme is picked for Pack the Place and the Parent’s Club makes t-shirts to sell to parents, students, and other attendees of the game to raise money. This year’s shirts featured a Rock-N-Roll design in the style of the famous Hard Rock Cafe shirts.  Sponsors featured on the back of the shirts advertise those local companies donating to Pack the Place.  Wearing the shirt to the game, earns free entry and the shows school support.

Money raised through the event will go toward fulfilling the needs of Dunlap students and teachers that go beyond the district budget like classroom equipment, library books, and competition costs among other things.

Local restaurants also pitched in with the efforts by hosting food booths featuring Qdoba, Avanti’s, Little Caesars, and Maui Wowi. More than 100 students and parents served as volunteers at the food stations and in other necessary areas making the event even more community centered.

Senior and a superfan Katy Weiss compared Pack the Place this year to previous years: “This year I was involved a lot more than in years past, so for me, it was a lot more fun!”

Weiss also noted that the growth in attendance. She said, “There were tons more people there this year and we raised more money which makes it 10x better.”

Past Parent Club president and Pack the Place coordinator for the past four years, Cheryl Bluth, said of the night: “I want to give huge kudos to Parent’s Club members Marli Meiss, Suzi Finkenbine, Lana Frake, and Jill Weiss, who did the heavy lifting to make the event a success.”

Bluth said she owes the success of the night to all the members of the community who volunteered, coordinated, and came out to the game.

Superfan Katy Weiss rocking out to music and leading cheers in the student section.

• Dunlap Packs the Place for a Good Cause

Basketball

Soaring for Scoring

Basketball

Dunlap hosts second annual Gameball Run

Basketball

Eagles Boys Basketball Season Tips Off

Basketball

Lady Eagles Basketball Team Prepare to Soar

Clubs and Activities

Showing off DHS Artwork

Features

Dunlap Weightlifter Qualifies for Nationals

Clubs and Activities

Digging Deep into Speech

Features

Student Counselor Takes Pride in Working at DHS

Band

Band Ends With a Bang

• Features

Spanish Teacher Who Does It All

Dunlap Packs the Place for a Good Cause