Seven Student Athletes Sign on to Play at the Next Level

Seven Student Athletes sign to play at the Next Level.

Emily Kerman

Last Tuesday, seven athletes signed letters of intent to play their sport at the college that they wish to attend next fall.

Seven senior athletes representing baseball, football and track and field will all receive athletic scholarships to play at the collegiate level.

The athletes represented three different sports: baseball, football and track, and field.

Jason Bollman will be attending Danville Area Community College. Jaron Holt signed to play locally at Illinois Central College. Carter Michanicou will be attending Marian University. All three will be playing baseball.

Continuing their football in college will be Ryan Ericson, Luke Bennyhoff, and Charlie Mangieri.

Erickson will play at Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa. Bennyhoff will join the Redbirds of Illinois State University. And, Mangieri will follow in his family’s footsteps at Northwestern University.

Sydney Bertschy was the only athlete who signed on to play track and field. She will attend Columbia University in New York.

Erickson, said of the signing,  “It was really special seeing my friends, teammates, and peers turning their dreams into reality.”

“We had great support from friends, family, and other peers as well as news reporters.”

Rodney Hatch, DHS varsity baseball coach believes that the signing events are a way to highlight the hard work of the student-athletes.

He said it’s “Important we honor the kids publicly. They deserve their accomplishments.”

Hatch said that he was excited at the athletes’ “Huge accomplishment” and wishes all the athletes the best of luck.