Club Provides Student Athletes An Opportunity to Fellowship With Those of Same Faith

Back to Article
Back to Article

Brooke Richardson and Sara O’Toole

The Fellowship of Christian Athletes has raised the bar for DHS students wanting to seek a further relationship with Christ in a public school.

Students are able to not only become better in touch with their peers but also with Christ.

Encountering God in a public high school is difficult, though this club makes it possible for those who are passionate about their faith.

Senior Melanie Henley said, “Every club period we open in prayer. The leaders take turns every week giving a spiritual message, then we close in prayer and either worship or play a game.”

Leaders include Hannah Milam, Kaylee Combs, Delaney Petersen, Rebecca White, Hannah Cross and Sarah Georgieff.

Club members discuss the message that they would like to talk about that day.

Junior Mallorie Gray said, “The message is totally up to the leaders. They say whatever God put on their hearts.”

Besides meetings, the club is involved in other activities.  Every year around the holidays, club members participate in “Operation Christmas Child.” They have a “packing party” where everyone brings in little gifts such as crayons, dolls, toy trucks, and even toothbrushes. They later say a prayer over the boxes which are then shipped to the less fortunate children in Africa.

FCA meets on Club Fridays in Mrs. Young’s room.