Co-op Program Prepares Students for a Bright Future

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior co-op member, Sam Dains, working at his local job through the program.

Taylor Disharoon

Dunlap High School´s co-operative education program allows students to learn the ins and outs of the workplace through real life experience.

Seniors at Dunlap High School have the opportunity to work during part of their school day while still earning their high school credits through the co-op program.

Angie Stancil, leader of the program and teacher at Dunlap High school, has helped eleven students fit a job into their school day. She believes that the program has really helped these students prepare for life after high school and college by teaching them how to work in different environments.

“The kids really enjoy it. They get to leave school early and go to work,” Mrs. Stancil says, “I really hope the program continues to grow.”

Anthony Zowin, a senior at Dunlap High School, realized he did not have time for his job with his school and lacrosse schedule. The co-op program was the perfect opportunity for him to balance all three.

“They help set you up with a nice job and the class itself teaches you to be smart with your money, which is something that I think most students need to learn,” says Zowin, ¨I do feel like the class has taught me more about life after college compared to any other class.”

The program is designed to make sure students participating are prepared for the workplace they are going to enter.

Senior at Dunlap High School, Sam Dains, faced a similar situation. The co-op program was recommended to him as a way to keep his work hours while earning his high school credits.

“I like the class because I have learned a lot of things that I didn’t already know,” says Sam,  ¨Especially about budgeting. I like to see how my boss evaluates me, too. I can see where I really need to improve in my work.”

All seniors at Dunlap High School are eligible for the co-op program, and participants hope to see growth in the program in the future.