The Guardian of Dunlap High School

Ashley Steinkoenig

Deputy Nick Butterfield constantly has a job to do between working as the high school’s resource officer and taking care of his two children.

Butterfield has worked as a deputy for 11 years. Before working at Dunlap High School, he worked as an officer for Peoria County Police Department. When Butterfield is not working at the school, he takes care of his two children, ages three and six.

Butterfield grew up in Edwards, Illinois. He attended school at Brimfield, ICC, and Western Illinois University.

Here are a few more questions asked to get to know Butterfield better:

Eagle Eye: What are some of your hobbies?

“I have kids. I don’t really get to have hobbies. My kids are young so I don’t really get time. I enjoy woodworking and golf,¨ explained Butterfield. 

Eagle Eye: What made you get interested in law enforcement?

Butterfield says, “You’re constantly doing different things. I can’t imagine sitting behind a desk all the time.”

Eagle Eye: What’s your favorite thing about working at the high school?

“The schedule and dealing with all the people. In the field, everyone is on their worst day. Here, you see the same people all the time, so you see a more positive side. I’ve been able to help people deal with a lots,” says Butterfield. 

Eagle Eye: Who is your favorite celebrity, and why?

“Nick Offerman,¨ says Butterfield, ¨mostly for the role he plays in Parks and Recreation.”

Eagle Eye: If you could be anything else for a living, what would it be?

Butterfield explains, “Not something behind a desk. Something in the trades, like an electrician or plumber.”

Eagle Eye: What is your favorite TV show/movie?

Butterfield: “I really like the Bourne movies and Die Hard movies,¨ says Butterfield, ¨my favorite TV show is probably Seinfeld.”

The Guardian of Dunlap High School