Baker Named Illinois “Chemistry Teacher of the Year”

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kevin Kolesiak

DHS science teacher Mr. Baker was named “High School Chemistry Teacher of the Year” by the Illinois Heartland American Chemical Society.

The ACS, which is a society of chemist, educators, and chemical engineers, annually award this honor to recognize local chemistry teachers for their dedication to students and profession.

Mr. Baker says that he is honored to be recognized. “It’s nice to have someone tell you that you have done a good job.” 

DHS Principal Mr. Adreon agrees. “Mr. Baker is an outstanding educator, who’s committed to student success but more importantly as future students and people.”

Mr. Baker said his teaching philosophy is to push students hard. Help them do better than they think they can do, as well as encouraging and supporting them. He said this can only be done by getting to know them.

It’s this quality that Mr. Adreon wrote about in his letter of recommendation to the nominating committee. He said,“Baker had developed of skill of fostering meaningful academic conversations and asking deep probing questions. This builds confidence in students which is essential to the learning process.”

Mr. Baker will be honored on April 22 at a banquet at the Peoria Gateway Building.